With a rich and diverse array of offerings under their belt over the last few years, French production duo Myoon recently returned to deliver their spellbinding new single 'Story'.
Conjuring a rich and atmospheric direction, 'Story' makes for a wonderfully rousing return to form for the pair. With its blend on glittering electronics and sweeping vocal melodies layered throughout, this new offering makes for a calm and embracing listen from start to finish.
So with the new single doing the rounds, we sat down with Augustin Hurez from the group to find out more about his background and what has inspired him most over the years.
What were the first instruments you fell in love with?
The piano. For the simple reason that our family had a piano in the house.
What has been the most prominent inspiration behind your music so far?
When we were kids, we were lucky to be able to attend concerts and go to the movies with our parents. Being surrounded by people with different visions at an early age has developed our taste for music and the visual imaginary concept that comes with it. Our firsts concerts of U2 and The Cure arouse excitement and enthusiasm in our young souls. At home, we also discovered various types of music, including classical music. Today, we keep hope and joy from our initiatory journey and we intend to share these emotions with both large and small crowds.
What kind of music did you love as a teenager?
As teenagers, we liked hip-hop, electro, RnB, funk, soul... We enjoyed very much U2, Daft Punk, The Police, Dr Dre, Naughty by Nature, the Wu-Tang Clan, Herbie Hancock, Ravel, Debussy, James Brown, MC Solaar, Gainsbourg... A constellation of inspiration!
Can you remember the first song that made you want to pursue a life in music?
Why always choose one?! With Or Without You by U2, Roxane by The Police and It’s A Man’s Man’s Man’s World by James Brown.
When you wake up in the morning, what kind of music do you like to listen to?
It’s going to inspire you and influence your mood for the rest of the day, so we like to listen on replay again and again to songs and tracks discovered and liked the day before. For instance, recently, we put into our favorites Your Power by Billie Eilish, On And On by Curtis Harding, Take Me Where Your Heart Is by Q, Eyes Closed by Melouie, Last Night In Sant Celoni by Payfone, Chet Faker’s last album, Arlo Parks and Ichon.
How many of your songs have you written about people in your life?
We could say almost all of them! Our songs are definitely a mix of our own experience in life, people around us and our loved ones.
What have been the most memorable moments in your career so far?
OK, let’s select 6 key moments in Myoon’s adventure:
1. Augustin asked me (Charles) « Don’t you want to put your voice on a piece of music? ». It was about 12 years ago or so.
2. Meeting with Stan Neff was a decisive turning point, also discovering the beautiful « Studios Saint Germain » in the center of Paris.
3. The encounter with Damien Silvert was another turning point. He’s a brilliant vocal coach who’s been working with other brilliant people like Mika for example.
4. We got lucky enough to meet face to face with one of Daft Punk’s members, who took some time out of his agenda to have a little chat with us and talk about our projects versus his experience in the music industry. He gave us advice and strengthened our artistic choices as musicians in his own way and in total kindness.
5. Our first live concert as Myoon at Sacré in Paris (Previously known as Social Club) was totally overwhelming of good vibrations. We had little expectations, as a not very well-known band coming on stage on a Thursday evening, but people really came to see us, the audience gave us a terrific, very warm welcome. It was roughly 2 months before the pandemic became out of control and it’s a beautiful memory.
6. Last but not least, our meeting with our Label Inside Records during the first lockdown initiated the beginning of a new era. It took our journey to another level. Inside Records has many refreshing signatures like Petit Biscuit or Lonely in the Rain. The birth of Inside Records label followed the famous Electro Posé YouTube Channel. We are really happy to be part of this family with Myoon.
Outside of music, what is your biggest passion?
Allow us to talk in the third person to make it more understandable. For Augustin, it’s cooking! You’re also some kind of a composer when you cook, selecting and adjusting different ingredients so that people enjoy the taste of it in the end. Charles is totally into cinema. Well, of course there is a clear connection with music too, the atmosphere and everything. What would be a good movie without music?
If you weren’t musicians, what other path do you think you might have taken?
Augustin would be a Chef, and probably a good one if you ask anybody who tasted his little meals. Charles has been involved in different projects as an actor, so following the path of acting would still be natural for him today.
And what advice would you give to other musicians looking to start a career in music?
We believe that staying true to your values leads you on the right path to your best life. If you’re a musician trying to make it, always remember why you are making music: throw yourself into your music and take pleasure in what you are doing. Do it to be happy. Avoid choices which would make you unhappy. We are in 2021, Myoon’s adventure has grown through the years and we are very grateful for everything happening today. Sending good vibes to one another is a secret ingredient we should all share no matter what.
Myoon's new single 'Story' is available to stream now. Check it out in the player below.